Saturday, December 4, 2010

Dec.4th...


Please say a prayer for Danny. He wrecked last night, is in icu and in critical condition. Hes hanging on.
Saturday afternoon after the accident, I let my friends, co-workers, family and old high school classmates, know briefly what happened. I received nearly 3 dozen well-wishes for him and promises of prayers. This marked the beginning of my use of Facebook, which before was just a silly past-time, as my way to vent, worry, update, express my fears as well as happiness. I answered with the following reply... 
Kathleen Quinn-Farber
Thanx everyone. Hes on a ventilator but they think he MAY be able to breath on his own. The vent is to help him. He is pretty sedated, not responding except a little bit to painful stimulus. He has bruising and some bleeding on brain, facial and neck fractures, broken shoulder blade, and some bleeding and fluid in chest. There are 11 different iv bags hanging here and drainage tubes all over. Its so hard seeing him this way. I know he would say i should go home and sleep and eat and tend to Nick and not worry, but im not leaving here. Ive got his hand in mine and i need it that way.

In the next days that followed Danny's whole family pulled together, visiting, holding his hand, praying, crying. The Chaplain was in to pray over him, and nurses and doctors were in to give their grim outlooks on Danny's condition. I wanted so to be given hope, but the one and only good thing they ever said was "He's young and that's a plus." All day Saturday and Sunday we wiped oozing, sometimes heavily flowing blood from his nose, mouth and ears. I stayed at Danny's side, desperately trying to make sense of things. When we were alone I sobbed silently, my face buried in his arm. I could not bear seeing this strong, proud guy, lying so broken and compromised, with so many things hooked up to him. I wondered if he would even want to be this way at all....he had strong feelings about such things. Out in the hall nurses were laughing and talking about the coming holidays, and in this cold and bare room, my world was falling to pieces. The day ran into the night and the night into the day. I sipped on a bottled iced tea, and occasionally went to the cafeteria for a bite. I could barely get food past the lump in my throat and the feeling of emptiness yet fullness in my stomach. It kept me going though to remember Danny, lol, scolding me for not eating and sleeping right, so I attempted to do both...for him. There was nothing I COULD do for him but those things. We were both at the mercy of fate and destiny. I prayed again for the first time in a few years. One of the nurses told me that this would be a rollercoaster of ups and downs and to be prepared. At times I would try to send energy to him through holding his hands. And at times I swore I could feel some positive energy and hope. It was usually dashed quickly though, by the scary sound of the ventilator alarming, or something a doctor would say that just made my heart sink. I was still in the same clothes from Friday night... still had blood spots on my clothes, but none of that mattered. I whispered goodnight to Danny Saturday night and his downward clenched hands seemed to move. It was a reflex, but one I needed to see...a movement. I napped in the family room again and prayed and hoped against hope that the morning would show me a different Danny...one opening his eyes or waving a hand, wiggling toes...ANYTHING. But again my hopes were dashed come light of Sunday. I wrote on Facebook...
The nurses said this would be a rollercoaster and it is. Last night i felt sure hed be ok. This morning theres no change in response and i feel sick inside.

1 comment: